View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 04:34 AM

Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
HQ, we agree about U.S., that's what I meant also.

About the administration, it's kind of personnal but there are currently too much fear and as every administration the one is U.S. is protecting its citizen first. As a foreigner and as someone saying what I think that is potentially dangerous.

For the personnal part, I usually don't travel in countries that have policies that I strongly disaprove. Paradoxaly, I can be very supportive of a people and offensive toward a government (that would be the case with Israel and currently with U.S.). The problem is that today most western governments don't like to be offended so I critisize my own (as I'm protected by my own laws). In the case of U.S., I'm happy to do it here as I found very good people developping very constructive points (also often with very different opinions). We do it with a lot of respect and I apreciate that and, morever, it helps me greatly when deffending U.S.

Moreover, while visiting Vermont, in 2003 I ran into two bad things. First at the border as I didn't know the exact adress of my friends. I lived in the US before that, I asked for help and that worked (as americans are usually helpful) but if I had ran into a stubborn custom agent that could have ended very differently. U.S. is currently holding people illegaly even in regard of the american law and constitution, and I think that Bush administration has passed laws that are outrageous. The fact that it is bigger, makes it dangerous when it is paranoyed. Second, I was almost assaulted by someone just for being French. Of course, these kind of peoples are rare but in time of incertainty they are more dangerous. Currently, I think that things are getting better but I stated that I wouldn't cross the U.S. border as long as Bush is president.

Nevertheless, during all these time I remained confident in the American as a people, despite having a lot of friends around thinking American to be bad guys, and the recent past events proved me right.

I have more concrete reasons to feel that way but I cannot talk about them as I'm not directly involved.
Ok.I understand .

Loads of good people in the US and if it wasnt for the US there would be the CCCCP -not a good alternative.And not to forget -the RPGs and Twilight in particulat are US products.

I know yanks,have worked with them as civilians and along side them in the military .people are much the same everywhere I find .No good will come from bashing the US of A ,but discussing and critizising is fair -after all its a part of the constitution over there and in France -the two first modern constitutions there ever was ,and the basis for most later ones -including our own of 1814.

So I guess I am a pragmatist - and a live and let live kind of guy .The paradox is that I got my 2safe in the comfortable rich world-citizenship values" as well.

And they tell me that whenever someone is presented as an enemy there is someone who instigated that view aiming to get something out of it .

America used to be the champion of the free world,democracy,liberty etc .But the image has become tarnished a litle every year ever since 1950.
I guess such things fluctuate-and that means that it will turn again to something else.

I really like that there are so many differnet nationalities here now.Adds good perspectives to the game in my view.Love these boards for the mature discussions,good ideas and wry humour.