View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Default One step back, two steps forward

If we are going back to sailing ships, think of it as an opportunity rather than a problem. Back in the early eighties I spent some time on a ship which, among other things, carried mail. I remember talking to a representative of the US post office, who was checking on the loading, who made the interesting comment that surface mail across the Atlantic was atually quicker during the Napoleonic wars...

This wasn't a big, fast container ship to Europe, though - it was a small, slow general cargo boat to North Africa. We didn't have Satnav or GPS, or even Loran, but relied on sun and star sights with our sextants (and I remember on one occasion after a particularly cloudy Eastbound crossing rather nervously approaching Africa - or was it Europe, and how far away was it anyway - dead reckoning got that name for a reason!).

Depending on the time of year and the route you choose, the Atlantic can be crossed by surprisingly small boats/ships.

And wooden vessels can be VERY hard to pick up on radar, stealth sailing ships to land your special ops teams?