View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico20854
AI just talked to one of the nuclear vessel custodians here. While my agency has custody of Sturgis, it belongs to the Pentagon still. It was defuelled when it was returned to the US from Panama, so it would need some shipyard time to reactivate. It was also never licensed to operate in the US, and does not meet the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's requirements to generate power for the US electrical grid. The conversion of the ship to a power plant included removal of the power plant and screws, and when it was brought out of service the pylons and other structural parts to link it to shoreside power were removed.

ll this, however, does not invalidate its usability in a T2k context. The shipyard in Newport News, right down the James River from Ft. Eustis, has the capability to refuel it, and there are several shipyards in the area that could do the structural work. Sturgis' generating capacity is too small to make the effort needed to put her back into service worthwhile prior to a nuclear exchange; after the exchange (in which the Newport News yard gets hit, with a carrier nearing completion in the largest drydock and two Seawolf-class subs under construction) it is definitely worth the effort, and finding the needed materials and workers to do so would make an interesting adventure.
While this is these are vaid points Sturgis could easily brought back on line and then place in reserve for use after the strikes, while it is too small to bring a city or town, it perfect for a Military Enclave or base of operations, as for not meeting the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's requirements to generate power for the US electrical grid, I hardly think that would matter after the bombs fell, I think it could used to power MILGOV Base in New Jersery?