View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Banned

I have the opposite viewpoint Leg - and by the way the Russians may not be in San Antonio anymore - if you read Lone Star, Red Star they are clearly about to pull out and head home - in fact by mid 2001 they may be gone or so badly damaged by local guerrillas that they are no longer the threat that they were.

And if that oil and avgas in that module goes to MilGov - since they are the only force in the area that has the planes and helos that can make use of it - then its an even more powerful reason that the 49th would stay together. And I could see the Texans doing it, telling MilGov that you get the oil and avgas in exchange for letting us (i.e. the Texans) take care of our own affairs afterward.

I.e. its mid 2001, the oil from Gulf 40 is now giving MilGov the avgas and other fuel they need to have air support for another offensive into Texas and the 49th wants to go home and be that offensive. Given that information and the fact that the Texian forces arent exactly popular in most of Texas I would see them be the leading force behind that move.

Given the state of MilGov that kind of deal could easily be made. But not with a 49th that is falling apart.

Now that doesnt mean they stay with MilGov after they make that move - but they can do a lot more damage and reconquer a lot more territory together than piecemeal. And the 49th, intact and forming the basis of the new Texan Army, would explain how Texas becomes an independent nation.

Plus keep in mind that those tanks they have make them superior to any remaining Mexican unit in Texas. They could drive most of the Mexican units out of Texas considering the sorry state most of the Mexican forces are in by mid 2001.

There is no way that most of the 49th just gives up and goes home and lets Mexico and the Russians (especially the Russians) keep hold of large areas of Texas. Sorry its a game but it has to be realistic and thats not realistic. The only way those guys are going home is with Mexican and Soviet forces running for the border.

Oh and the 90th Corps could still thus fall apart afterward - i.e. the 49th heads south into Texas, does its job and then says its part of the new Texas Army and not the US - and without them there isnt much left of 90th Corps to hold Oklahoma against anyone else.