View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 AM

1. For the first option, I like the idea to modify the damage accordingly to the Margin of Success. But i would discard to use a "fixed" modifier to add to the damage roll. I will suggest you an idea adapted from the game "Fading Suns". Simply divide the MOS by three (round fractions down) and this will be the number of additional 6 sided dices added to the normal damage of the weapon. As an advantage, you can apply the rules regarding the armor value as usual, once you know the total number of damages dices, the armor value of the target and the penetration of the weapon. For the Outstanding Success in the "to hit" roll, you can ignore it. Taking into account the MOS will be enough.

2. For the second option, the old Star Wars (D6) system used a similar rule, but only taking into account one of the damage dices (usually in a different color). For that dice, a result of 6 meant "add and reroll". A 1 meant "substract the higger roll".

IMO, the first option is the better. The skill and the actions of the character (aiming, p.e.) will affect the MOS and, in this way, the damage roll.