View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered Registrant

LOL! Lurker Alert!
Targan lives probably no more than 30-40 klicks away from me and any sort of modern, post-apoc gaming is few and far between in this town so I can understand his interest

As for rules: -
I'm not particularly familiar with the 2013 rules but there are some aspects of them that I like and would use (such as the one where a PC can sacrifice a piece of valuable gear instead of taking the damage themselves - can't remember the specifics but that's basically it) and there's also a set of rebuilding rules very much like the old Aftermath post-apoc game had, but more up to date.

While I know Targan likes a rules set that he can sink his teeth into, I favour lighter rules, something that doesn't spend much time getting in the way of the story or the players interactions with each other and the GM. I've been used to running the 2.2 rules for some time and with a few house rules and other mods here and there I'm 90% likely to use them. One of my common house rules is to lower the number of hit points PCs get, a much quicker and easier way to increase the damage factor without rewriting every weapons damage stats.

I find applying difficulty factors and task numbers very easy with the 2.2 rules and they use a minimal amount of dice compared to some systems (for instance, I'm playing in a ShadowRun game at the moment, I had to get more D6 because eight wasn't enough!) Combat is still a little clunky compared to some games but no game I've ever played or run has really satisfied me in that regard and the other aspects of the 2.2 rules compensate me for that part.

Over the years I've fallen more into the Storyteller type DM and have left the Rules Enforcer type DM far behind - if a player wants to do something crazy but spectacular that maybe fits into the rules but definitely fits in with the story and isn't outside the bounds of gameworld reality, I'll let them take a shot at it. I work with a maxim that I stole from a friend - no restrictions, only consequences - if a player wants to do something crazy I'm not going to immediately shout "No you can't do that" but they better understand that there will be consequences.

At the moment I'll have to give at least one months notice at the very least to inform/attract any other players so nothing is happening just yet.

Targan, time slots for the shop's game room are some weekday evenings/nights and Sunday during the day and evening - personally I'd prefer a Saturday but the other times are booked up with other groups so Sunday is my current preference for the most likely session time.