View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 AM

Default oh so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Haha, I remember doing the same sort of thing in the Aussie Army. We were using the US M56 webbing back then with Aussie ammo pouches for the SLR. The buttpacks were good pieces of kit, when we changed to the new Auscam webbing they continued to issue the buttpack (or as we call it, the bumpack). The main meals in our ratpacks were in tins back then as well.

As I recall it, the procedure at the time for the tins was to "burn, bash & bury" them once they'd been used - burn any remaining foodscraps out of them, bash 'em down flat then bury them deep.
That changed some years later when they figured that certain enemies could still locate the buried rubbish by either metal detectors or even sense of smell in some places, and we had to haul all the rubbish back with us.
Dang burn bash and bury!!!

I had forgot that. Same same for us in Nam. I often wondered why we were so dang carful about trashing the country side just after I called in about forty rounds of Willy Pete.
here is another oldy but goody.
Det cord and c-3 not for the enemy but to heat rations and to cut trees.
Just do not stomp on that c-3 when it is burning, never did nor did I see any results just the idea that it might go bang was enough to let it burn out. a marble size ball would heat the canteen cup boiling hot.
good old zippo lighter and c-4.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.