View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj3 View Post

The team may wake up in the middle of a disaster. If not, then the supplies could be allocated to the reconstruction effort.

Regardless, teams are able to offer prompt substantial assistance to locals which must be useful in establishing goodwill for the Project.

A reasonable level would seem to be 'limited' nuclear war scenario with near total destruction of key industrial infrastructure (>95% of oil refining, chemical plants, etc.) and an initial (to one year) mortality of ~30-40% of the pre-attack population. This would also fit with a 'Black Death' style pandemic.
Rob,

The Project is going to be activated 3-5 years after a major disaster, not weeks or months. At that point, is there still going to be an immediate crisis?

Refugee aid seems to be a kind of "primary" function, not the kind of top-level cadre/reconstruction the Project is geared towards. No one says the Project wants to deliberately see anyone starve, but if it's still a problem three to five freakin' years after the war, then it's likely to be completely outside the scope of the Project's resources to alleviate except in a limited way unless 100% of the supplies go towards that end (and even then, I don't think you could dig enough holes to make a difference).

To be clear, while I don't think refugee relief is tenable as a Project capability, I do agree the proposed caches are a solid idea! It's not an issue of earning goodwill by offering prompt assistance, it's a matter of defining the Project's "core" mission and then keeping focus. Refugee aid seems like its really widening the core mission.

I also agree the Project seems to be aimed towards a limited nuclear exchange instead of the typical "total destruction" scenario. It seems to me isolated teams (no matter how well armed) aren't optimally organised to cope with a complete loss of civil order, and there doesn't seem to be enough resources to rebuild a completely destroyed industrial infrastructure.

Tony

Last edited by helbent4; 12-23-2010 at 03:10 AM.