View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I had forgotten about this until his post but as Uncle Ted points out, the evaporation method is still a big contributor to salt production in the modern world. In fact one of the companies here in Australia is named Solar Salt as it produces much of its supply by the evaporation method.
I'd even seen facilities for this at Dampier and Port Hedland during one joint services exercise during the 1990s but as mentioned, I had forgot all about it.

Here in Western Australia, there are evaporative salt facilities at the towns of Port Hedland, Dampier, Roeburne, Onslow, Carnarvon and Shark Bay. About 90% of total salt production in Australia is for export sales so it's considered a significant industry here. Those locations aren't much help for Australia after the Twilight War as they are quite remote but certainly the workers at these facilities could set up new production sites in the remaining population centres on the coast.
My stepfather established and part-owns an evaporation method salt field in South Australia.