View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Fuel for Strategic Air Command units would be kept at close to maximum as possible as they have priority, no matter what is happening in other theaters.

Any other base would get fuel base on the duties they preform, and how much they had on hand at time of nuclear strikes would depend on

1. When was the fuel delivery and;
2. How much was delivered

So it’s a crap shoot

The Major US Aviation Depots are:

Naval Aviation Depot North Island
Naval Aviation Depot Pensacola – Closed in 1993
Naval Aviation Depot Norfolk – Closed 1993
Naval Aviation Depot Cherry Point
Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex, AFB Tinker
Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, AFB Warner Robins
Ogden Air Logistics Complex, AFB Hill
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group, Tucson, Arizona

However I think you’re going to see major cannibalization of aircraft parts. Since you have only a few aircraft flying you have a fair bit of airframes to pick from, I made a concept of salvage teams who recovery parts and weapons. I thinking since you have extra techs those that are not working on aircraft are going scavenging for parts and fuel or security duty somewhere

For fuel as stated above if unit are using an existing airbase you have fuel on hand which can be rationed, I also think you see fuel scavenging/recovery teams going around to airbases, airports ect.
I completely agree with you about cannibalization being done to keep planes flying - using parts not only from military planes but also civilian ones as needed - that's current practice in Africa right now in real life - you see countries that officially have 12 jet fighters but what they really have is ten hangar queens and 2 that work with parts from all the others

Iran did that to keep their F-14's, F-4's and F-5's flying after our embargo as well - and its common wartime practice - that's how the US kept a small force of P-40's going in Bataan almost right up to the end and in the Aleutians, where spare parts were basically impossible to find, they used other planes as spare parts all the time - it would be common practice for them to get five new planes, give three to the squadrons and keep two for parts