View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 PM

IF I have a chance to FTF play (been over eight years now since THAT happened), we gamed almost every Saturday night at this guys 'second apartment' he used as game room and storage. He'd owned a hobby shop at one time and was avid gamer, modeler, collector. He had FIVE sheets of plywood (painted green) and various blocks to build hills. Using HO scaled buildings and persons, though all the military persons were in 1/72 (bigger than HO). The first time I walked into his game room he had a section of the city of Krakow set up. Walled city, rubble, the works. He didn't set up to play but display and after serveral years I told him so. It REALLY slowed down the play, but it drew players (16 at one session I recall, WAY too many). I finally got him to use not diarama but representations. It helped fill in the gaps as he described the place. Also we NEVER rolled our own die. It was all hidden rolls and if he took his favorite white D10 (no numbers and more a worn chipped ball than a die) you knew you were pooched. But that aside, yes it helped and using figures, we moved simultaniously. IF you couldn't see the other player, (and it was determined by getting down and looking some times) you couldnt communicate visually or from distance, verbally. HoG ruled yeah or nay. And hidden objects or persons were the norm. Ah, those were the days. RIP Gene. The ultimate sadistic HoG. Gamed there from 1987-1999.

Grae