View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:45 PM

The way I made my latest apocalypse was simple. I took the USA out of the equation and looked to see what would happen when the global juggernaut was gone and its client states were left alone in the face of their enemies.

Phase one;
US election fever reaches unheard of heights. One party wins by a narrow margin, which is turned over by the electoral college due to irregularities in the ballot. Soon outraged uprisings appear in each state for one or both sides. Actual shooting occurs, and the USA begins the slide to civil war. The National Guard is recalled from Iraq and units from South Korea, Afghanistan and other US bases shifted around. The classic Red/Blue State divide is the sides, and 'Purple' states are the battlefields.

Phase two;
As National Guard units clash in the CONUS, the US Army pulls back line troops to try and restore order. Iraq submerges in a sea of violence as insurgents see their chance and go for it. Israel tries a pre-emptive strike against Iran but is surprisingly repulsed by modern weaponry received from China. China has also sent weapons to Zimbabwe, which convulses in a civil war, the Congo, which is always convulsed in a civil war, and various Muslim former USSR states. As the crescendo of violence sweeps the world it's plain that if you have cash, you can buy Chinese weaponry. Insurgents, separatists and warlords every suddenly sprout tanks and ATGMs. The US Army is in an unenviable position. Desperately need at home, they have to pull out of most overseas missions and leave only token forces. Few have any illusions about what happens next.

Phase three;
From luke warm relations to hot war only take 31 hours on the Korean peninsula. NKA troops surge down over the DMZ and in a surprise manoeuvre, repeat MacArthur's landing at Seoul (albeit with many more losses). The world, with foreign troops dashing across the globe trying to put out brushfires, can do little as China lunges across the straights and into Taiwan.