View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Hmm.

I have a few thoughts on Shipmen

1) Steel Hulled Ships after 150 years. Yes it is possible. Just. IF and that is a big IF, lots of maintenance is spent on these surviving ships. I point to the U.S.S. Texas and the U.S.S. Olympia. Both 100+ years old.

So this fact implies a port system as ArmySGT points out. And a functioning steel manufactoring system to repair the steel ships. Which also implies a fairly well developed economy in the area since the steel plants can run, this implies a food surplus to feed the steel workers.

To further compound the problem with steel hull ships, motive power? Steam power would be available, IMHO. Powered by coal from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, etc.

2) Wood hull ships. A much more survivable level of tech. Wood woorking is still an art and a craft that does imply food surplus. With the "New Ice Age" decending on the Great Lakes region, food surplus is going to become harder and harder to achieve.

Wood hull can also imply sail power or steam. I can see either form being available. Sail is cheap, steam gets you to places sail can not. SO both have a place at the discussion table.

3) Shipmen in other areas. I played a game once based in the North Carolina - South Carolina area. There was a small, but functional wooden ship fleet based in the Wilmington NC area. (Per TM1-1, missed by any nuclear gifts.)

Most of these ships were involved in fishing, but some were trading ships that plied the waterways of the shallow inlets and sounds of this part of the USA. Largest ship that was sighted in the game was a 400 ton "Coast Guard" vessel. Armed with four (4) six pounder black powder muzzle loading cannon. This ship would help ships in distress, search and rescue, anti-piracy, and tax collection. The local govt funded the "Coast Guard" with a 1% tax on all shipped cargo. There was some greed and graft involved, but for the most part, this was a system that worked, and worked rather well.

My $0.02

Mike