View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM

The game as originally written was meant to be bleak and dark, and more than a little incompetent. Part of this can be explained by the simple fact that we saw so little of the Project in the modules, but even the basic premise of the main book is bizarre - the implication is minimal training and patchwork supply, secrecy that makes little sense once the bolthole seals, little manufacturing capacity (when that would be of paramount importance in reconstruction), all topped by a command structure that is so dysfunctional that eliminating Prime Base kills the whole Project!

If you go with that, then yes, the teams are screwed.

I went with a different premise. I gave the characters more training, and more consistent and sensible equipment. I gave them a better understanding of the scope of the project and their immediate command structure (including emergency procedures!), and I designed a command structure that was more rugged and included factories while omitting uselessly-located power stations.

This changed a few things in the game - it made the players more survivable, made resupply easier, and gave them instructions and a sense of direction beyond the first module. I changed the circumstances of the fall of Prime Base to include that the attackers were able to disable the antennas on the transmitter (to stop the base from summoning reinforcements) so the reason the Project is still asleep is simply because there were essentially no wake-up calls at all - I had all the teams awakened by automatic fail-safes as either the bolthole was compromised or the century-old life-support died. This meant that the Team could engage in their individual, country-spanning missions while still accomplishing the goal of waking the Project.