View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Haven, I see you mentioned that you got pretty much the results you were after, but what's your feeling for the ease of use of the Reflex System?

I understand this was play-by-post so you had a more relaxed time frame in which to work out the resolution, but how did it flow for you?
Well as a play by post i can't tell you how hard it would be to learn face to face. We were using gmail chat at this particular time.

Here goes anyways....

First attack roll took about... 45min (wanted to get everything right and had not read the section before starting) next one took 15min next one took 5min and after that I could do an attack roll (with 'In character' description in about 3~5 min). I kinda had a benefit of most of my characters in a fixed position on a bridge in a bunker so those modifiers needed to be figured once and then i could refer to them in the next action (aka post).

Quote:
Was the basic mechanic (no. of dice to roll, rolling low, attribute as target no.) immediately intuitive, or - if not - how long did it take you to get the hang of it?
Originally, I was rolling against not my base Attribute that related to the skill but the skill itself. aka Trying to get under 13 in Longarm not the 7 in CDN as a 'Professional' (3d20L) shooter.

That could be stressed a bit more i think... but could just be me speed reading.

Quote:
How did tick tracking (and bookkeeping) for initiative work for you?

How about the amount of die-rolling and modifiers? Burdensome or appropriate?
Some notes:

I kept up with ticks with an excel spread sheet. Everyone started on the far left column with their tick listed next to them. As they acted i would list what they did in the next column over and list their next tick in the next column to the right. In a live game a sheet of paper with 'Name : Tick' and continously erase/mark though the tick and update it would probably be more efficent and easier than what i did... but i was learning.

One thing that we started to do is start a 'quick reference' thread on our forum for all the various tables used in combat. Basically a GM screen.

This is I feel one of the most important things to build create for you guys as a 'freebie' because the tables for combat and skill resolution is kinda spread out at the moment and the pdf while you can click on the bookmarks will never be the same as keeping a couple fingers or post-it's on the pages you need.

You need all the range bands, task resolution modifiers (most of the screen would be this: moving, lighting, noise, light, weather, target size, target movement, etc...), hit location, wound effects, etc.

Finding the relatent tables is what slowed me down the most.

Once you wrap your head around how this system works it is very very intuative. Most of the time i was "now i know this has a penalty/bonus where is it and how much is it..."

FYI: we are using a mix of Tier II and Tier III rules because we have the luxury of time between posts. So i would imagine that Tier I is a snap.