Thread: Merc 2000
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
One of my two long running T2K games was mostly an M2K game with only some post-apocalyptic elements (in some areas). I liked the equipment and mechanic additions rule-wise and the setting was also interesting.

If anything I'd just like to see a modern re-print with errata added and the setting extended to 2020. The setting conceit was the world was experiencing severe social issues in the midst of an economic depression. The whole reason Mercs were a thing was every country had to seriously scale back their militaries due to economic issues. So it wasn't as bleak as T2K but it wasn't all sunshine and roses.

The setting pulled forward to now would be interesting. Organized crime and international terrorist organizations could be added as OPFORs. There would also be opportunities to add new "battlefields" like cyber warfare and hunting down bad guys via digital forensics and such.

I always saw M2K as more of a techno-thriller setting so seeing it lean into that would be interesting to me. Even barring those kind of setting changes just errata'ed rules and an updated equipment guide would be cool.
This is my take on things as well. My own Merc campaign (set in Africa) follows the techno-thriller pattern as well. I had wanted to do an update of the game but I figured that Free League would pitch a fit if someone were to try and publish a V2.2-based game while they were rebooting Twilight2000. That and like Southernap, I lack the skill set to publish a commercial work.

I was going to change one thing though. Merc2000 is such a boring name. I liked the idea of stealing the name of another idea from the designer's notes in V2.2. I would have called my work CONTINGENCY FORCE.

The World continues to spiral into chaos as the economic decline hits the various nations that once supported the World's economy. In such desperate times, belts must be tightened and sacrifices made. Thus law and order have begun to take a back seat to just keeping the lights on. When the forces of evil attempt to prey on the innocent; towns and corporations need the help of those willing to confront the violent with violence themselves. Such "Contingency Forces" are now common throughout the World.

In Contingency Force, you can play as a Private Military Contractor, keeping the peace on a budget. Perhaps you would choose to be a Private Investigator, finding the lost and solving those crimes that the local PD no longer have the time or funding to solve. Maybe you're a Gun For Hire, selling your own special talent for death to the highest bidder. It's all possible with Contingency Force!