Thread: Merc 2000
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernap View Post
So with all that said, my question for debate on the floor is this:
Was it a good addition to the rules as we had them? Did it provide something for players to get their fix of the game engine without having to deal with nuclear weapons and still not be under the thumb of military leadership. Or was it a complete waste of time and effort by GDW?
I rather liked Merc; I ran a 1- or 2-year long game of it in the mid-90's. It took me too long to get a copy of Bangkok, but I had all the other books.

I ran an episodic-style game using the Biafran and several of the Caribbean-region missions, often with names & places changed. My group had a flying boat and flew to their missions that way. (Yes, I was deep into a Jimmy Buffett phase at that point, what's your point? I liked Miami Vice a lot, too.) I created "Big Bob's House of Boom" as a hiring hall and weapons store (stores in Miami, Manila, and Las Vegas, ask Bob about franchise opportunities!).

I hadn't really done much with v2 or v2.1 within the Twilight setting, so this was my opportunity to learn that game engine, so yes to the 2nd part of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernap View Post
Question 2: So does this deserve a reboot sometime or even a fan made new source book taking in the modern era of the post 2001 environment and entities like Blackwater, Aegis Defense Services, or Paladin Group?
I'd be OK-ish with a reboot using the v4 rules, I'd be happier with a revision/collection of v2.2, perhaps adding some of the gear from various other sources.

I'm not sure I would like a setting update, though. Call it what you like, but I like my RPGs both gritty and still fantastical, in faraway places with often made-up names (San Cristobal, Ruritania, Rio Lindo, etc.).