Thread: Zu-23-2
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Can the ZU-23-2 fire single shots? I've seen footage of it firing and it's always in bursts.
No, it can't. The "Sergei" (the finnish nickname for the thing) is capable of full auto only. No single shots, no burst fire that is selected mechanically. A 5-10 round burst is a practical _minimum_ one can fire with the weapon - with a fire rate of nearly 1000 rounds per minute, the operator just can squeeze a shorter burst from the controls with his feets.

That's right, the "trigger" is a pedal which is pushed with feets. The firing pedal can be seen here.

And btw, the rate of 1000 rpm is per _one gun_, and the ZU-23-2 (note the -2) has two of them. That means 2 times 15-16 rounds _per second_. That's not an autocannon, that's a fracking garden hose with AP rounds and grenades coming out of it.

Quote:
The barrels are also linked in their firing mechanism, so you can't fire one barrel at a time unless you don't put a belt in the second barrel.
Correct. And if the weapon is used in other than AA purposes, loading only one gun might be a smart idea in Twilight setting. You only have that much ammo, and this babe sucks them like a you-know-what.

I have some photos of ZU-23s used somewhere in Africa (Congo region, IIRC), where you can clearly see that the other weapon is out of commission, but the functional one is used by itself.

I'd go for a D6+4 shots per burst, if you want to keep it short.