View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Internet Intellectual

The Northeast isn't covered and that is both good and frustrating. The Appalachian mountains are very well set up for survivor groups (family clans) still living in 1989 with farming and 18th century skills. It from there that I explain the spread of musket making post War.

The Southeast and Florida is wide open too. I have been trying to find a sea level simulator that would show the sea levels in a Ice Age. The sea level in Final Watch is several meters lower and would dramatically change the shore line everywhere. Finding one with higher sea levels is easy.

The northern Great Plains. It was already low population density to begin with. I suppose this is now the Amerind Empire mentioned in Prime Base and entered on the Black Hills of South Dakota. Devastated in the nuclear exchange the area is food and energy independent given that water wells, oil wells, gas wells, seed starting, and live stock remain... difficult givens for sure with the megatons of nuclear hits.

The Central Great Plains isn't touched except for the Oilers entry. That doesn't really explain much. Traditionally this area was hard to homestead as it lacks rivers. The Army corps of Engineers made many reservoirs after damning rivers and creating miles long though narrow lakes. These make for difficult to pass terrain features. This area has oil, salt, and livestock while it was low population density and low manufacturing pre War. This area suffered from the fallout carried from Colorado.

Texas, New Mexico, and Nevada have their entries in Lonestar and Desert Search.

The Pacific Northwest has its entry in Final Watch with little spoken of outside of Seattle. The wild card is Oregon. The nukes land on Portland, Salem, and Klamath Falls plus the massive hydroelectric dams on the Columbia river. It has no fall out from surrounding States. Logging, farming, ranching, are robust here as is fishing and clamming along the coast.

California. The war has to be even more devastating here than other regions. The area relies upon Interstate 5 and Highway 101 for north south travel. These major arteries pass through enormous urban areas that will be nuked and roads hoked by survivors trying to flee in any direction. There are few ways over the Sierra Nevada mountains or around them. North on I-5 into Oregon or east on I-80 to Reno... except that junction is Sacramento a confirmed nuclear strike. Highway 101 the "coast Highway" has to cross a bridge at San Francisco bay another confirmed nuclear strike. I-15 leaves from the extreme south of alifornia for Las Vegas, Nevada for Los Angeles..... with refugees meeting in the middle fleeing from either to only die in the desert out of gas.

Hawaii, apart from the nuking of Pearl Harbor and Ft Shafter on Oahu and the nuke on Hilo at the Big Island; the population suffers from overpopulation. Without food imports from the Main land the population suffers starvation.