View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I agree with equipment, but especialy for colder climates. But it will be similiar as well, the trooper in Northern Europe will toss his tropical kit. They will adopt as you said local items as they would be more common and most likely more suited for the enviroment.

An example, for N. Europe, off the top of my head, going on the assumption I were say a member of the 8th Marines who took part in Norway.

The idea of going more or less native with gear over some of your issue gear since alot of times localy made gear will be more apropriate for the climate as well as resuply.

So, things like M16s would get swapped for a G-3 or an AK along with mags and mag pouches.

Woolen Uniforms would be adopted to suppliment issue uniforms as they would be more common but also warmed for a colder climate. Of course one would be a fool to ditch their poly pro and goretex.

I think I could still manage to to have a lighter pack operating in an arctic climate. Go with the wool and poly and goretex, with the old style woodland uniforms, mickey mouse boots, sleeping bag, poncho and liner, wool sweater, kevlar and a G-3 along with food, hygene gear and a few other uniform items and for a arctic/snowy climate skiis. I see no purpose to having NBC gear in the arctic as it is of minimal effectiveness.

As for horses and mules,

I would imagine the steppes of central asia, portions of the US Southwest and S. America they would still be fairly common. Remember in the US we still have several million wild horses. And in the US SW we also have a large wild burro population as well. Now the issue is rounding these animals up and breaking them would take some talent as well as time. So, these regions I can see horses and mules would be common.