View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Keep in mind that you are talking to one such person who can do exactly what you are describing. Have been building model rockets and remote controlled model aircraft for literally decades - started doing so in college and continue to do so. Modified my son's drone to make it more efficient that he used for his weather forecasting service. So yes those people are out there. And have built a very serviceable remote controlled airplane in college using basically scraps and junk to do so.

Does that make them common - no obviously not. But plausible - heck yes.

Oh and Legbreaker - for the record - you can build a pretty damn good model airplane and or drone using very low tech items. You dont need what the creators of the game would have called high tech to do it.

FYI - its one reason I love the original Flight of the Phoenix movie - shows you exactly what could be done by a determined group of people how have an aeronautical engineer with them who knows about aerodynamics and how to build a very scaled up version of a model airplane.

As for why you would take the time to build a drone after the TDM - look at the Ozarks module and you get an idea what kind of advantages they would give you.
As far as I recall, nobody said it was not plausible.
What we did say is that while it's possible, it's not probable.
So you're one person who can do it. So what?
One person who might not have survived the war anyway.
Even if you did survive the war, so what?
You can't be in more than one place at once. So you make a drone or two for the military forces in the region you're in. So what?
It does not make drones a common item, it does not mean that drones will be found all over the place.
Your existence in T2k is not guaranteed and your ability to construct drones is not guaranteed, so where does that leave us?
Right back in the "there's definitely the possibility, but there's no certainty" area.