View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernap View Post
So everyone seems to be thinking about stuff like Pioneer or some variant of the the MQ-1 and MQ-9 series of drones.

Here are two more examples of drones that would have been in service during the Twilight War

1. BQM-34 Firebee - is a ground or surface launched drone and can do a number of things depending on the mission packages installed. Some of the Firebees were later modified into what was called "Buffalo Hunter" and used in missions over North Vietnam and the PRC during the 1960s. One of the images captured by a Buffalo Hunter mission lead to the Son Tay Rescue Attempt.

So all that said there might still be Firebees in storage some where (Point Mugu, CA; White Sands, NM; Wallops Island, VA) and trying to recover a complete drone or two with the servicing equipment, the ZEL launcher, some JATO bottles, etc. Could be a good plot hook.

2. BQM-74 Chukar is another drone that although a targeting drone; might again form a plot hook for someone. Say NA and they want to bastardized them into a crude cruise missile. Flip side is the use of these by either MilGov or CivGov for similar reasons or even again highly modified to try and take pictures or obtain radar photography of an area.

3. Without going too far, there was also a slew of drone aircraft that probably would have survived in numerous regions around the US in the Twilight War. Think of QF-102s, QF-80s, QF-86s, etc. They all might still be around post 1997-1999 moments of survival. Again, a good plot hook might be someone trying to acquire enough of these and enough parts to build an air force of some type again. Hand wave away the utter lack of POL products and other stuff, that would make this work. Still the technology is there and someone might know how to reverse engineer them back into flyable planes or even give them more capabilities than what they were as drones.

If we are talking the civilian market. I don't know how many folks remember the Estes Rockets and there was one with a real simple camera with timer on it (the modern version has a digital camera with video ). It used Kodak 110 film, I am sure that someone might find a way to fit one of these kits on to an R/C aircraft of some type or even say setup a bunch of these rocket kits around and use them as some form of aerial recon over their domain in some way. Granted the hard part would be to find the chemicals and ability to process the film, if not find more of this film some where. Still having photography back is important for those trying to claim domain over areas.

Just my .02 on the subject.
I had an Estes ASTROCAM 110 in the '80s. The only two issues I see with it was that you could only take a single photo per launch because the shutter was activated by a string connected to the parachute ejection system and it would only photograph a 100-meter square area with that photo (and the resolution was nothing to write home about either).

The rockets would be a Routine test of Chemistry to make and if a place like Krakow is making mortar rounds and small arms ammo, then they can make rocket motors. In Fact, I'd bet that Krakow would make RPG-7 rockets BEFORE it would make mortars. The RPG rounds are easier to make.

There were also a lot of RC aircraft capable of lifting a small camcorder but as CDAT already pointed out, you'd have to fly them and then watch the video after it landed. Some of the big RC bombers could fly for up to 30 minutes with such a payload. The big issue I see would be that most RC aircraft in the '90s would be using 3 channel FM or VHF control and this is VERY EASILY jammed by the most rudimentary ECM systems. In the absence of ECM, these model airplanes filled with explosives would make a good "poor man's" MCLOS Missile system.

The one thing I find funny about technology in Twilight2000 is the lack of appreciation for the complexity of certain technologies. I'm with Spartan 17 about using a "makeshift tele-feed" on a makeshift drone. The tech is too hard to make. But many players, even ones in this forum will simply "forgive" GDW when they introduce "tech" that seems basic on its face but in reality, requires a significant level of sophistication to produce. As an example, they ignore the idea that Krakow is making BICYCLES. I'm a pretty good "tinkerer," but I'm NOT SURE I could make a bike chain from scratch without any machining tools. Chains are COMPLEX DESIGNS that involve multiple PRECISION components like pins, links, and roller bearings, ALL OF WHICH must be made to exacting tolerances. Not to mention the hubs, chainrings, headset, and all the bearings a typical bike needs. Mess just one component up, and your new bike won't run.

This kind of reminds me of D&D where glass vials or iron flasks are cheap even though they require significant skill to make. And don't even get me started on mirrors.