View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
But many players, even ones in this forum will simply "forgive" GDW when they introduce "tech" that seems basic on its face but in reality, requires a significant level of sophistication to produce. As an example, they ignore the idea that Krakow is making BICYCLES. I'm a pretty good "tinkerer," but I'm NOT SURE I could make a bike chain from scratch without any machining tools. Chains are COMPLEX DESIGNS that involve multiple PRECISION components like pins, links, and roller bearings, ALL OF WHICH must be made to exacting tolerances. Not to mention the hubs, chainrings, headset, and all the bearings a typical bike needs. Mess just one component up, and your new bike won't run.
Primitive chain-driven bicycles are 1869 technology, which is when watchmaker Andre Romain Guilmet had a chain drive bicycle built by Edouard Meyer. They won't produce modern bushingless roller chains, but bar link chains would be within even most "primitive" (non-CNC) machine shops' capabilities (and not require roller bearings), while being able to make roller bearings would let them make a skip-link chain.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.