Thread: Convoy's!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM

OK. I'll dissent. I think you want to move the trucks very slowly, probably about walking speed. Why? so you don't outrun your on foot security detail. Unless you have infantry in front and on the flanks clearing your way one MG position will ruin your entire convoy, especially if you're going 100kph.

Somebody lights up the second or third truck with several flanking automatic weapons. Chances are it jack knifes, blocking the road and maybe taking out several other trucks. Where are you then? I think you're better off engaging those positions with infantry before the trucks are even in range. Have at least a squad up front 200-300m in front of the trucks, one on each side of the road if you can spare it and another squad on either side of the road, 100-200m away from the road. Have a final squad trailing the convoy by about 200m. If you can get a couple of hummers with MGs or ALGs to run to the aid of a squad that encounters resistence, even better. You'll need 2-3x this amount of troops to rotate squads. Say 1/3 of the time on foot, 1/3 on guard in the trucks and 1/3 at rest. Having two groups of ~10 men on horseback would also be excellent. One could ride several miles in front for long distance scouting or patrol neighboring roads and/or towns to get intel. You can travel at night if you like, but probably camping is a better option. I'd say you can make 20-30 miles a day. Now, this of course assumes that you have a company of infantry or better for your convoy, but finding them seems easier than laying 400 miles of rail in hostile terrain.