View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I remember calculating that in the V.1 rules it was possible for a strong, highly trained, martial artist to punch through the OT-64 armor. Even 25 years later it is still the first thing I think of when I see that designation
Kato,

Doing some figuring, I see this is entirely correct in the v1 rules.

A beginning Martial Artist with STR and STA 16 and the max allowed BC (Body Combat) skill of 80 has a damage of 12+1D6, enough to penetrate the OT-64's side armour of 15 50% of the time by rolling 4 or better. (16 + 16 x 8 / 200.) For that matter, someone with a STR and STA of 19 and a BC skill of 80 can just punch through the LAV-25's side armour of 20 with a little luck (Hand damage of 15+1D6).

Quick, someone call Murphy's Rules!

That said, for me it was pretty much a toss-up between the BTR/OT-64 and LAV-25 in v1 rules in terms of mobility and fuel consumption. The LAV can haul more and has the 25mm autocannon to use against light armour and infantry (although the KPVT isn't all that shabby for an MG). In v2/2.2 the OT-64 does a little better in the range department but only because it has a larger fuel tank. It would be nice to have an ATGM for heavy armour, but you can still carry a crew of dismounts (assuming other players have the foresight to pick one up as starting equipment).

Tony