Thread: Semi-Skills
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
There are also some overlap issues regarding weapons skills, in v2, at least. For example, for a M249 (FN Minimi), which is usually belt-fed but can accept STANAG mags, do you use Small Arms Rifle or Autogun? I think most GMs use SAR (I do), but that's not really accurate.

For a LAW-type weapon, do you use Grenade Launcher or Tactical Missile? I think most GMs use GL (I do), but that's not really accurate. Most GLs are arc-fired using ladder sights, whilst LAWs are almost always direct fired.

Firing a LAW, firing an M240, and firing a TOW II are all different enough to require separate skills, but as others have already pointed out, if you sub-divide skills even more, the game becomes too complicated/convoluted/cumbersome for most players (let alone GMs).

I think the cascade skill system already in place in v2 is a simple and pretty effective solution. But, maybe, instead of receiving only half the main skill (rounded down) for some cascade skills, the player should receive 3/4 the main skill (or at least the half rounded up). For example, if one is trained to operate a TOW II, then he/she should be able to figure out how to fire an M72 LAW reasonably competently. Same with rifles and SAWs, or automatic pistols and revolvers. I think it would also work to implement the cascade skill system to non-combat skills as well.
I break my SMALL ARMS Cascade into;

- Rifles and Shotguns.
- Pistols & Revolvers.
- Belt-Fed Machineguns.

With a Qualification of Black Powder for both Rifle and Pistol Skills (because reloading them can be complex).

I break my HEAVY WEAPONS Cascade into;

- Grenade Launchers (including belt-fed versions & rifle grenades).
- Rocket Launchers & Recoilless Rifles (because they are similar in function with the exception that rocket launchers are "under power" during their flight).
- AT Missile Launchers (this includes MCLOS, SACLOS, Laser-Guided, and Fire-and-Forget versions).
- AA Missile Launchers (this includes MCLOS, SACLOS, IR Homing, and Radar-guided all in one skill).

I break my CANNON Cascade (yes this is my Large Caliber Gun) into;

- Mortars
- Autocannon (includes smaller AA guns from 20mm to 57mm)
- Tank Guns & AT Guns (includes larger AA guns up to 120mm and howitzers).

I also have a Black Powder Qualification for Cannon.

I allow the knowledge of 1 weapon system for each point of raw SKILL LEVEL (the Skill without the Characteristic score added) the character has.