View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 AM

I'd tend to agree with Targan / Russ that the islanders would be fairly self sufficient.

Militarily, I go with canon (more or less) and have a Territorial Army Infantry Battalion replace the garrison's Regular Infantry so the Regulars can be redeployed to Europe, although I'd probably keep the other elements of the Regular garrison in place (e.g. Royal Artillery Air Defence Troop, Royal Engineers Squadron). I'd also retain the resident RAF Flight of four F3 Tornados (1435 Flight of memory serves?), but any Naval assets would be required elsewhere I would think.

Re what happens in 97 / 98, I must confess I hadn't really given it much thought up until now...from what I know I agree with the viewpoint that seizing the Falklands is engrained deep into the Argentinean culture, so no matter how strategically unsound such a move might be they'd be liable to give it a go if they could. The only thing I could see deterring them would be the presence of a British submarine, which would be able to send any invasion fleet to the bottom of the South Atlantic. But accepting that the Royal Navy can't keep an SSN on station off the Falklands forever as WW3 rages, yeah, I reckon the Argentineans would be able to make their move and get away with it.