View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Very good work - really brings the regiment to life. However I dont agree with the 3rd ACR staying in Germany because it didnt want to go home and fight CivGov units - for one with the Russians and Mexicans still occupying US territory there are lots of foreign enemies for them to fight still.

I think it was more that they didnt agree with the decision to leave a US ally in the lurch - i.e. the Germans and British troops who were still fighting the Soviets - and also the fact that there were US troops still cut off in Poland.

The 3rd ACR more likely would have stayed to try to at the very least make contact with the cutoff troops, especially after the Soviet units started to disintegrate in late 2000/early 2001 and get those guys back to Germany where at least they are on friendly soil compared to Poland and the Baltics.

That explanation makes a lot more sense (and can be extended to other units who didnt come home) than just not wanting to go home to fight CivGov units.

Plus there is nothing in canon that says the US and Canadian units cut off in Poland never came home except a non-canon article in a Twilight 2300 site. Thus a more likely 2001 event for them is a drive to make contact with the cutoff units, evacuating them in a body with as much equipment as can be salvaged and then proceeding from there, possibly to help the Germans clear the last of the Russians out of German and Austrian territory.
Thanks. My main aim for the reasoning behind the non-evacuation was to show some of the possible reasons for not evacuating. I actually regard not wanting to fight CIVGOV as very unlikely and meant it more as war weariness. The logistics of reaching Bremehaven also play a part, after all if you are secure where you are is it worth gambling on getting back to a place that actually may be worse than you are and then have to go back to war?

I saw Op Omega as a last chance to evacuate as formed units and envisioned the 3rd ACR gradually becoming German in the same manner the Royal American Rifles became the 60th Rifles with no Americans in British service in the 18th-19th centuries (hence the note reversing the process in the British 7th Armoured Brigade article). I'm not sure the leaving the allies in the lurch would be a lower level attitude among the mainly draftee soldiers but it might be more common at higher level. It's a good point and it may reappear in a future article.

I also see Germany fracturing into the component states as in 2300 over the next few years.

I get the distinct feeling that my idea of TW2000 is bleaker than yours although there is nothing in cannon that would really support either way of looking at it for this part of the background. One of the nice things about the group is this mix of views.