View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Weapons that are purely defensive, ARGH since most weapons can be used for either. Especialy if one is creative.

The flashbang example and how it is explained allow it to be used as a defensive weapon for the purpose of distraction. HOWEVER, as they are primarly used they are used in an OFFENSIVE ROLE, they are used by pole and raid units in distracting while a building or similiar operation is occuirng, ie being taken down.

A machinegun mounted on a tripod and in a fixed position is ususaly a defensive weapon, however the same schem as it delivers supporting fire to an infantry advance on an enemy position it is now an offensive weapon.

The improvised weapons mentioned, a Helmet, or an entrenching tool or a tent pin. Are they a defensive weapon when used to bash someone, or stab or hack? Not really. They are offensive weapon, to use them as a defense weapon they loose ALOT of their effectiveness, surprise is what will help you win if you have to use such equipment as a weapon.

Mines for the most part are defensive, although they did teach how to use them to ambush vehicles or personel, the old trick of tying a line to an anti tank mine and pulling it under the track of a tank.

I digress.

Pistols for the most part are now more or less a last ditch weapon and thus can be used and are used for defensive purposes. Very few people have the skill or need to use one as an offensive weapon. However, I can see it being an offensive weapon in trench clearing, urban, tunnels and ship operations where it is close quarters. However, today there are alot more weapons that will fill the role much better.

Carbines USED TO BE defensive weapons for drivers, clerk and artillerymen. Now they are almost standard issue because of their size, portability and ease of use in close quarters and in modern methods of deployment via inside a mech vehicle or helicopter.

Today as I mentioned a few days ago, Submachineguns are now being issued as a means of personal defense to personel who would in the past be issued a pistol. Although again for a close quarters raid operation, they would be a good choice and used as an offensive weapon.

Claymores, yes mines, but they are so much more and I love them Used for strengthening perimeters and thwarting an enemy attack. but, also a cool thing to have if you are setting up an ambush.

I agree, most air DEFENSE systems are exactly defensive, almost exclusivly so unless of course you turn the system on infantry, but its primary purpose defense.

I would say, something like a mini gun in a fixed fortification would be a defensive weapon as well. And a very cool one.

Trip Flares are defensive.

Most of the time Knives because that means you are without a working firearm or ammo and things are now desperate. <The bayonet goes both ways, but traditionaly a bayonet is an offensive weapon ie the bayonet charge>

Mo, I like the idea that interceptor aircraft are defensive and it is, but to do the defensive role they must be offensive, since their purpose is to ATTACK incomming bombers. At the Macro level they are defensive, but at the micro level they are offensive.

Just like bomber aircraft, they are purely offensive.

This is actualy harder than I imagined it would be when I first opened this string.

I'll just make a list:

Pistols
Knives
Shotguns usualy
Some grenades
Mines mostly
Carbines and Submachineguns as they are generaly issued today
Air Defense Systems
Machinguns and heavy weapons when dug in in a fixed position
Obstacles <wire, tank traps, ditches, punji sticks etc>