View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Seems to me the Outstanding Success/Catastrophic Failure mechanism already covers this.
I was looking for a more "dynamic" mechanic. My Millenials believe that the base rules don't have enough "flash" or "fluff" to make the system interesting.

I have been using a variant Outstanding Success/Catastrophic Failure rule based on the character's skill level for some time. The new mechanic was meant to "expand" the rules more than this mechanic does.

My "old" variant Thresholds for Outstanding Success/Critical Success are...

Skill Level 10+ = 5+ (Outstanding)/10+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

Skill Level 9 or 8 = 6+ (Outstanding)/12+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

Skill Level 7 or 6 = 7+ (Outstanding)/14+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

Skill Level 5 or 4 = 8+ (Outstanding)/16+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

Skill Level 3 or 2 = 9+ (Outstanding)/18+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

Skill Level 1 or 0 = 10+ (Outstanding)/20+ (Critical) rolled under the success threshold.

The thresholds for Significant Failure and Catastrophic Failure are simply the inverse of the chart above.

I have used the modified Outstanding Success/Catastrophic Failure rules for years now and they work quite well (even if the system is a bit "boring" by today's game standards).