View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Quick Initiative Roll

As I continue to "refine" my Initiative system during play, I am trying newer methods of counting out a (now standard for me) 6-second combat round.

The latest version is a highly simplified roll. I roll 1d6, add the character's Initiative Score to it, and divide by 2 (rounding up). This generates the number of "Actions" (or Action Points) a character gets per round. This gives just enough "variation" in Initiative to make slower characters viable while allowing faster characters to still stand out.

I'm still counting each Action as 1 second's worth of time (just like in my posts above). All that has changed is the way I get to the character's starting Initiative Step.

Complex/Repetative Actions:

If a character is doing a Complex Action (like sighting a Tank Gun) or a Complex Repetitive Action like driving a vehicle, I allow a number of Skill Checks OR Control Checks EQUAL TO the character's rolled Initiative Score per Round.

-The Driver can make a CONTROL ROLL (in essence, a "reaction" to something) during ANY Initiative Step because it is considered "part" of the Complex Action.
-The Driver can perform a number of Special Maneuvers equal to his Initiative Score during the Complex Action (because they are considered part of the action) BUT cannot perform that Maneuver BEFORE he could perform a regular action (even though the Complex Action actually starts on the first Step).
-The Driver cannot make more Control Rolls AND Maneuvers (combined) in a round than his rolled Initiative Score.

For example: If Joe is driving a Hummer and his Initiative Score roll equals 3, he may make three skill checks or control rolls for that combat round. If he runs out of control rolls BUT is mandated to make another one, the vehicle will be considered "uncontrolled" at this point.

I am still using chips to help keep track of scores. I give the players a number of chips equal to their rolled score and they give those chips back to me when they declare their actions. One Chip equals 1 second of time. For example: If a player declares a snap shot at a Long Range target (3 seconds/initiative steps worth of Action in my game), he must surrender 3 chips to do it.

This system has worked well and I'm happy with how fast it is to use.