View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
Nate,

To be sure, this is a personal preference on my part. As such, my objection is certainly part emotional.

My point is, if the Commonwealth is more politically relevant due to a more active Crown, then having Canada as a "Commonwealth within a Commonwealth" seems clumsy, assuming the Commonwealth is still the primary coalition for UK-allied states. Might as well just use "Canada", which is perfectly acceptable in modern terms.

In my own T2K background (which leads to 2300) the political process of bringing Quebec back into the fold is called "re-Confederation". this is because the political event where Canada was formed is not called "Independence" from Britain but is known as "Confederation".

If the Quebeckers object to "Dominion" (although they frankly would probably not care too much beyond being recognised as a distinct nation), why not then go with something more historically apt and certainly a more technically accurate: the "Confederation of Canada" or "Canadian Confederation". No Canadian could therefore object on technical or historical grounds!

As for our position with regard to tiers, I should think we''d be equal to the Aussies! With all due respect to the Australians, of course.

Tony
I was thinking of the Canadian Confederation as we were having this discussion... and it'll be the name for my version of 2300ad.

the tiers aren't really as important, it's not about who's the best... but by their level of extra-solar colonization (the Sol System is heavily colonized by even those states without interstellar capacity).

Thus why France and Manchuria are first tier states, they have sponsored the most colonies.

Second tier states are growing, third tier states are just as powerful as the second tier... they just are not as tied down to so many colonial possessions (though many are looking to establish those colonies). Canada is taking a slow, methodical approach to colonization. They won't just seed colonies, they build a colony and get it self-sufficient. Then build another one.

of all the colonial powers, the Canadian Colonial program is described as 'Slow and Steady' and this has been paying off. They see coloinization as a long-distance run and not a sprint. And with the fact in my campaign, there are many abandoned and failed colonies... this is proving to be a very smart way of handling the expansion of their territory. because it's more stable in the long run!

So see it as a matter of Pride.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.