Thread: Siege of Warsaw
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 PM

Okay, I'll start but as everyone here knows my T2K campaign is very uncanonical, so be prepared to ignore if it suits.

Firstly, the original siege was too short.
Have the original siege last for over a year. Now pack the area with formations, if you feel inclined look at the movements of units back when you're staging your siege and place units here and there as logical. Now think of the actions that occurred. Read up in the Siege of Port Arthur in the Russo-Japanese War, Stalingrad, Sarajevo and even look at Baghdad now. Incorporate (ie:steal) events as needed.

Now, the place has been left alone for some time. It's not neat. There's rings of siege works, wrecked vehicles and battlefields, millions upon millions of landmines and razor wire that marches over from horizon to horizon. Who knows, some of the bunkers probably reek with persistent gas agents? You get the picture.

Here is where your story telling can go to town, and here is where like no other place the difference between the old world and the T2K is at its most marked.

Back to the original siege.
This is a pivotal event in the Last World War. It is unfair to disallow players to take part in that event. Place their unit there, come up with some campaign history and give them an info dump to reminisce about. Have things radically changed in some places and eerily similar in others.

When I did it I played up on the brotherhood of soldiers that arises in sieges. The PCs 'remembered' fighting tooth and nail against the Warsaw Police Battalion, still wearing their beat cop uniforms and dying for every inch that NATO bought. When they got to that battlefield, a railway station, they were struck with an awe that I couldn't have instilled myself. Later they met a Warsaw police survivor and helped his family out because of the shared blood between them.