View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 AM

HQ, we agree about U.S., that's what I meant also.

About the administration, it's kind of personnal but there are currently too much fear and as every administration the one is U.S. is protecting its citizen first. As a foreigner and as someone saying what I think that is potentially dangerous.

For the personnal part, I usually don't travel in countries that have policies that I strongly disaprove. Paradoxaly, I can be very supportive of a people and offensive toward a government (that would be the case with Israel and currently with U.S.). The problem is that today most western governments don't like to be offended so I critisize my own (as I'm protected by my own laws). In the case of U.S., I'm happy to do it here as I found very good people developping very constructive points (also often with very different opinions). We do it with a lot of respect and I apreciate that and, morever, it helps me greatly when deffending U.S.

Moreover, while visiting Vermont, in 2003 I ran into two bad things. First at the border as I didn't know the exact adress of my friends. I lived in the US before that, I asked for help and that worked (as americans are usually helpful) but if I had ran into a stubborn custom agent that could have ended very differently. U.S. is currently holding people illegaly even in regard of the american law and constitution, and I think that Bush administration has passed laws that are outrageous. The fact that it is bigger, makes it dangerous when it is paranoyed. Second, I was almost assaulted by someone just for being French. Of course, these kind of peoples are rare but in time of incertainty they are more dangerous. Currently, I think that things are getting better but I stated that I wouldn't cross the U.S. border as long as Bush is president.

Nevertheless, during all these time I remained confident in the American as a people, despite having a lot of friends around thinking American to be bad guys, and the recent past events proved me right.

I have more concrete reasons to feel that way but I cannot talk about them as I'm not directly involved.