View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielmeister
Speaking of DUKWs, I've seen a few of them still running somewhere near where I live. There's a district northeast of Manila called Malabon where my wife's family hails from. It floods there almost 24/7, mostly due to a combination of its low-lying location next to the sea and the choked up estuaries and canals which are not enough to drain the water from the streets.

I drove my wife over there once and saw what her relatives termed as an 'amphibian'. Upon closer observation, I noted that it was a modified DUKW. It seems the local businessmen bought up a lot of old US-issue mil vehicles and used them for their fishing operations.
I ride past a dump for old DUKW's on my way to work... there is a company that maintains a few in operation for tourists in DC (I've never seen them in the water, but they might...) and has a few extra (in horrid condition) as spare parts sources.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...