View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I like this idea. I will add a light AA squad with a couple of SA-16s to the castle garrison. I also like Medic's suggestion of an SA-17 battery being nearby, and I already had a battery of ZU-23-2 just north of the castle, covering the river as well. This is a Front HQ and a prime target for NATO's few remaining strike aircraft/cruise missiles. There's also the nearby airfield. Would the single SA-17 battery stationed a couple hundred meters west of the castle be able to cover the airfield as well, of would the airfield have its own SAMs?
I'm not ADA, so I can not say for certain, but as far as I know, 9K37M BUK-M1 (actually not SA-17 but SA-11) can be decentralised and since the launchers are mobile, they can be spread out. As with any radar, the C&C unit needs to be somewhere, where it has the least obstructed view at all directions.

BUK is a system best used for low to intermediate altitude defense as it has the ability to engage targets between 30 and 22000 meters. The battalion consists of three batteries of two launchers and a reloading vehicle as well as the command post with both a command and radar vehicles.

The Igla-family is for close-in-defence, but depending on the age of the particular model in use, it might require a rear-aspect lock-on, so the target has to fly past first.

The 23-2 will not probably have too much success against cruise missiles or jet fighters, but it is a good weapon against both infantry and helicopters. Since most models are manually aimed using Mk.1 Eyeball, the battery can be deployed however the commander likes. Mutual support is nice but not mandatory.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.