Thread: Contact pack
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I take a nalgene water bottle everywhere, but I have used 1 liter Mt. Dew bottles as canteens because they are disposable.

Might be my location...... Colorado is definitely and outdoor enthusiast state.

You can buy a nalgene bottle at just about any gas station/convenience store here..... These are even routine swag at expo booths.
Not here on the East Coast or at least South Jersey. People who enjoy the outdoors are a minority and those equipped for it even more so. I have friends who have a ton of gear, but none of it is suitable for backpacking or hiking but drive in stuff and there idea of bringing water is a small bottle of Poland Springs. I have a camping trip with some friends set for next week. My gear is packed and ready and fits on my back and except for an axe everything fits inside of the pack.
My friends on the other hand have several hundred pounds of gear, and expect to split it between the three of them in three packs. Quite a bit of it they don't need. I mean one girl has a eight man tent! It weighs thirty pounds and when I asked if she was bringing water I got told she has a few small bottles and would drink from the stream or the pump if she got thirsty. She's not the brightest bulb at the best of times but I expected her to be smarter than that.
People here expect to be able to drive in most of the time and the few walk in sites are usually empty except for one or two campers at a time. The drive in ones are always full.