View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I like it, its a fun read. A couple of points.

I agree with Legbreaker that Australian aircraft carriers are unlikely but seeing as the above history is a decade later than the canon T2K timeline I suppose it is possible.

In WWII there were all-Maori New Zealand Army units but those days are longgone. It is true that per capita there are more Maori than Pakeha (whites) in the New Zealand military (certainly IMO because of the tradition of a warrior culture among the Maori but also for socio-economic reasons) but there would be no such thing as "two Maori infantry Battalions will resist and stop an advancing Chinese armored division during 38 hours".

Interestingly I've heard a story that I've never followed up for verification of a Maori battalion being sent on a deep penetration raid against the Germans on Cyprus during WWII. The account I heard was that it was pretty much a suicide mission but the Maoris apparently did a huge amount of damage before they were wiped out. Maori soldiers have a reputation for ferocity rivalling the Gurkhas.

UH-oh, having worked with the Gurkhas several times, well, I never conssidered them fierce or intimidating. Basic infantry, sure, otherwise eh, not overly impressed. I recall one evening in the jungle in our positions, some pygrmy deer came through and the screams of them running into the night well thought it was hillarious but also sad.

And I also worked with some Aussies, eh, good infantry but those kids just weren't risk takers. The couple were were assigned well it was like training a new boot that you didn't phuc with to bad.

And the sadest of all, they couldn't last more than a couple pitures of beer in the enlisted club. <and I mean pitures of house beer for the whole table> I was so disapointed.