View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 09:33 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Rats have long been viewed as dangerous to humans, and not without reason, but rats can also help them. Here's a positive animal encounter idea:

https://www.apopo.org/en/what-we-do/...RoCf-0QAvD_BwE

The locales where this appears to be going on are somewhat exotic, by T2k standards, but perhaps some enterprising Pole (or other nationality) could start their own rat-assisted mine-detection enterprise.

Credit to my teenage daughter for bringing this to my attention.

-
African Pouched Rats are excellent for mine detection. They are bigger than most rats and have more endurance, and their brain-to-weight is better than your standard rat and their convolutions in their brain are deeper. As a result, they are also much smarter and more easily trainable than your average rat. And though they are a rather large rat, they are still light enough that they can sit on antipersonnel mines and not trigger them and brush up against of cross tripwires without triggering them either.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com