Thread: Twilight 2020
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 AM

After doing a bit of research this is what I found. Australia is a major producer or uranium, and I think it has the largest reserves of uranium in the world and certainly has the largest uranium mine. However Australia is only involved in the extraction of uranium, with the mined uranium shipped overseas.

Depleted uranium does not occur naturally. Natural uranium primarily contains two isotopes, uranium-238 (99.3 percent) and U-235 (0.7%). The concentration of U-235 which is the fissionable isotope needs to be increased to between 3 and 5% for nuclear fuel. Uranium enrichment plants use gaseous diffusion, gas centrifuge, or laser separation enrichment to do that, and one of the by products that they produce in depleted uranium..

Australia has no commercial nuclear power plants and limited domestic uranium requirements. An Open Pool Australian Lightwater (OPAL) research reactor is operated by the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) at Lucas Heights south of Sydney, New South Wales. The OPAL reactor has the capacity to produce commercial quantities of radioisotopes utilising low-enriched uranium (LEU) fuel.

Australia has no uranium enrichment facilities. Countries with major uranium enrichment facilities are located in the United States, Russia, Britain, China, France, Germany and Netherlands. There are also minor uranium enrichment facilities in Argentina, Brazil, India, Iran, Japan and Pakistan.

Countries that produce depleted uranium ammunition include the United States, China, Britain, France and Russia. India and Pakistan also produce small quantities. The United States is the biggest producer of DU ammunition

Countries that use depleted uranium ammunition include the United States, China, Britain, France, Russia,. Bahrain, Egypt, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Netherlands, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and possibly Serbia.