View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 04:08 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

February 15, 1998

The 8th Infantry Division (Mechanized) has completed its reorganization and is preparing to return to duty on the front lines in East Germany. Armored vehicle losses in 1997 had been heavy and all remaining tanks in the division are assigned to 1-68 and 3-77 (my 4-69) Armor, while 2-68 (my 2-69) and 5-77 Armor are disbanded to provide personnel replacement for the other two battalions. The remaining tank battalion in the division, 4-34 (my 5-68) Armor, is left without any vehicles of its own, but a convoy of heavy equipment has recently arrived in Europe (one of the last to do so) and included in the cargo is a consignment of Cadillac Gage Stingrays which are used to re-equip the battalion.

Unofficially,

The remaining team members of B Squadron, Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, who have been operating in Manchuria for nearly a year, have established themselves in relative comfort in a small hamlet in rural Suihua prefecture in Manchuria; some members remark that they have "gone native", moving in with local families and providing a (very, very competent and dangerous) militia to defend the small town.

In the early morning hours the last stragglers of the 158th Motor-Rile Division's ill-fated relief force trudge back to the division's headquarters complex at the Zenica steel mill. By dawn it becomes apparent that the Jugoslav resistance fighters that harried the column have followed them, with the base coming under rocket and mortar attack and outer pickets reporting movement in the buildings and hills that surround the base. In Sarajevo, the surrounded 151st Tank Regiment comes under attack, its remaining operational T-34/85s rushing around the perimeter to reinforce positions threatened with annihilation.

In the no mans land between Allied and Soviet lines in the Zagros mountains, Antoly Shinsky, a deserter from the Soviet 9th Army and his compatriots (all from the Russian Far East) occupy the village of Dorodzan and begin a reign of terror, pillaging and oppressing the town's helpless civilians.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...