View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 05:49 PM

Nice touch with MREs becoming controlled. I always thought the (relatively) easy availability of MREs or similar rations was a headscratcher in the equipment list given their manufacturing requirements, ease of use, and demand. Post-TDM they’d likely not be able to be produced. I can almost imagine MREs being signed for from a issue point and subsequently turned in if not used. Maybe there’s a cottage industry reboxing loose meals into cases for ease of storage and transport (Eventually there’d be cases with nothing but Ham Omelette!). Probably any similar rations captured or “acquired” would be similarly managed.

I wonder if there’d be an attempt to produce a “c-ration like” meal pre-tdm using commercial canned goods for use by low priority, mech, or rear echelon units. I guess they could just eat more T-rations, UGR-As, etc, but I’m looking at an individual meal for when unit feeding is impractical (offensive operations, NBC, or dispersed operations). Post-TDM, this may transition to a cottage industry producing preserved food such as dried meat, dried fruit, and hardtack for local patrolling and operations with the remaining canned goods and MREs held for high priority units or offensive operations. Maybe an early harbinger of Operation Ancient Mariner was the release of MRE and canned rations to 3d German Army from depot storage?

A friend of mine in a theater level unit attached to V Corps during OIF I related to me that they were on straight MREs from just before they jumped off until late June because the logistics chain hadn’t been able to bring even T-rations forward due to priorities on fuel, ammo, supporting additional forces flowing in, and water.

Last edited by Homer; 05-22-2022 at 08:04 AM.