View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered Registrant

In regard to Yowies, there's been two sizes typically claimed with a third size less often reported.
That is: -
1. smaller than a human adult but larger than a human child.
2. same size as a human adult and
3. larger than a human adult

Generally the sizes reported are 1 and 2 with number 3 being less common but some reports have claimed the tallest Yowies as in the 2 metre range.
It really comes down to what part of the country you're in as the local Aboriginal myths seem to play some part in what size creature people "see".

Of more interest to me is the difference in alleged behaviour, some reports have the Yowie as shy and easily frightened off while the human sized versions are often reported as projecting a malevolent presence and appear to have been spying on or otherwise checking out the humans who (claim to) have seen them.

What I find particularly interesting is that some Aboriginal groups have legends of fighting against tribes of "hairy men" when the Aboriginal peoples initially settled in Australia. The legends sound a little like an early human ancestor or perhaps proto-human and apparently the Aboriginals fought them to extinction so as to claim the land for themselves. I'm inclined to think that if these legends are correct then the Yowie is probably some sort of cultural memory of these earlier peoples.