View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default tw2k module question

leonpoi 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM I've been looking to get some more tw2k modules, but I'm a bit unclear about how useful v1 modules and source books would be for v2.2. I was hoping that some people here would have a good idea of some of the modules.

[1] I've read that the RDF sourcebook is quite good, but would it be of any real use to a 2.2 player?

[2] I'm interested in the warsaw campaign: Pirates of the Vistula and The Ruins of Warsaw. Does anyone know if these are any good and if they would be suitable for 2.2 play?

[3] I'm also interested in the Survivors' Guide to the United Kingdom because all of my players chose UK characters, but I'm again afraid that all of the equipment, weapons, vehicles, and most importantly character generation sections would be v1 and therefore useless for 2.2. Anyone know otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any help

weswood 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM Most of the modules are more of a guide type book, ie- town XXX is held by four marauders, one veteran and three expeirienced with military small arms- so converting them to ver2.2 is fairly simple since you'd have to do some work on them anyway.

Rae, on this board, is running The Pirates module on another board in v2.2, and we're having fun. Lots of side adventures in the module so your players don't get cabin fever on the ship, but most of us have read and reread the modules so Rae has his work cut out to change them some. Never played the Ruins, but it's basically a battle scenario, with maybe an ambush.

I don't have the RDF or the United Kingdoms books, so I can't help ya there, but I think most of us prefer the v1 timeline with v 2.2 rules.

Here's a site you can get most of the modules and stuff as downloadable PDF files. I've had mostly good luck with them, but one of the modules I got had some copy problems, the print messed up on some of the last pages. You can purchase the item and download it up to 5 times if I remember right.

www.drivethrurpg.com

thefusilier 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM I think most of us prefer the v1 timeline with v 2.2 rules.

I'd agree on this. I play exclusively V2.2 but have all of the modules and find them very useful. Any vehicle or weapon stats are useless to me but they are repeated in the V2 guidebooks.

Targan 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM I've been looking to get some more tw2k modules, but I'm a bit unclear about how useful v1 modules and source books would be for v2.2. I was hoping that some people here would have a good idea of some of the modules.Well I have all of the modules, use them and love them, and I don't use any of the official Twilight rules in my campaign at all. So I would say if I find them useful, a V2.2 user should certainly find them useful too.

TrailerParkJawa 06-26-2008, 12:55 AM I have all those modules and they serve fine as background material regardless of the rules you use. ALthought I admit I couldnt explain to you the differences all these years later.

Of the 3 mentioned UK sourcebook is my favorite.

leonpoi 06-26-2008, 01:21 AM Thanks for the replies. I didn't mention but we kind of use a v1 history too, so looks like we are all in the same boat.

I'd agree on this. I play exclusively V2.2 but have all of the modules and find them very useful. Any vehicle or weapon stats are useless to me but they are repeated in the V2 guidebooks. This problem exists in the vehicle books of v2 and v2.2 anyway.

I suppose what I want to make sure I'm not doing is, for example, buying a book full of v1 vehicles and not much else, because that would be pretty useless to me.

Here's a site you can get most of the modules and stuff as downloadable PDF files. I've had mostly good luck with them, but one of the modules I got had some copy problems, the print messed up on some of the last pages. You can purchase the item and download it up to 5 times if I remember right.

www.drivethrurpg.comThis is where I got my v2.2 from and I've got 1/2 dozen source books but no real adventure modules from them. Some are better than others, the 2.2 is pretty good, although it's often hard to tell the difference between a divide sign and +.

To anyway who has got these modules I mentioned from drivethrurpg, do the maps come out ok?

Poor Merchant 06-27-2008, 06:40 AM Actually what I'd do is buy the CDs from Far Future Enterprises - for $70 plus $5 postage you get everything for both V1 and V2.2. That's both sets of rules, all the modules and articles from Challenge magazine.

If I recall the only part that was a little bit iffy in reproduction was parts of the rules for V2.2 but that was nothing too serious.

jasonlips 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM I have used the Modules in both V1 (way back when) and V2.2. I prefer the 2.2 game system, and have had no trouble 'converting' the modules.

I would add that T2K has the best modules I have ever read/played through. Compared to some game-systems the T2K modules are encyclopedic; allowing gamers to just hit the high-points of the plot, or get as deep into the story/background as they wish. For instance 'The Free CIty of Krakow and 'Armies of the Night' could be played for many gaming sessions if that is what the gaming group wants. The linked modules allow very organic progression and most players are impressed with the engaging 'objectives' in each.

The other benefit of GDW's T2K modules is the simple scalability. With a little tweaking, the adventures may be run with a small group of green characters, or a large group of vets. The burden is on the gamemaster to add balance, but it takes very little time to make the needed adjustments in-game.

Finally, most of the modules allow the characters a chance to really have an impact on the game world. Players can restore computers, save refugees, find the gold, rebuild an off-shore oil rig, recover a nuclear sub, etc.

The one module done independently 'City of Angels' (were there any others?) is not bad, but it really highlights how superior the GDW products are.

Raellus 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM The adventure modules are more concerned with the game world/campaign setting (places, people, the geo-political situation in a given region, etc.) and not much with the nuts and bolts of the game rules.

In fact, the adventure modules can be used with just about any rules system. Just ask Targan. I believe he doesn't use v1, v2, OR v2.2 for his Twilight campaigns! He uses a system called... Dang! I can't remember. ; )

Anyway, you could use D20, Gurps, house rules, whatever, and the modules would still be useful.

Now, the vehicle and weapons sourcebooks, those are a different matter. There were several made for v1 and a couple made for the later versions. They're not truly compatible so you have to do some conversions. It's not all that hard though.

Paul M's site has converted just about everything gear-wise- and then some- to v2.2. Check it out.