View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM

There are some misconceptions in this thread about female soldiers in general, and those in the IDF in particular.

From what I gather, about 1500 female IDF soldiers serve in combat roles (including firing arty and flying combat sorties). Females do serve as insructors at all levels. There is one light infantry battalion that is all female. That is about it. Female IDF soldiers have not been in combat in significant numbers since 1948.

Women are capable fighters. Even on the modern battlefield females can and will fight and kill the enemy. Female soviet snipers in WWII racked up huge numbers of dead germans. Female insurgents have been around for many years, including some killed by American soldiers in Vietnam. As far as females being too caring or nurturing, well you have not met some of the women I know.

The fact is however, no large group of military trained and disciplined female troops has been combat tested on the modern battlefield. There is not enough data to justify sweeping conclusions about female combat efficiency. In T2K I think it is natural to allow females to serve in the combat branches. Most players will roll men anyway, but limiting player choices is usually not a good idea.