View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I can give you a data dump of military sites, nuclear sites, and mineral sites. The government database thread has water sources but I have not figured out how to stitch all the county data yet, and to be honest it would be hard to map as I don't think sub county information has any location information.

I think I have a excel file with all power plants. Not sure if it has long/lat but it would have city/county data.

From what I understand of Google earth, a data file with all these points (it would be multiple thousands for the US) would overload it. I seem to remember reading that over 5000 lines total, a KML file will freak out. Each data point has at least 6 lines and probably closer to 10. This is why it has been low on my priority list until I can generate country level data, or perhaps points within a ~200 mile radius of a search location.

I have attached an excel file with the data points from my gaming site map for California with some of the points you asked for (US Military Base, Oil Refinery, Nuclear Plant, Hydro Plant, Steel Mill, Ammunition Plant, Renewable PWR). I am still processing mines/processing plants. Water sources is down the road a bit. And I never loaded fuel based power plants.

You can do a Google search for Excel to KML and there are a few programs out there that should be able to convert it. Sorry I can't build it as I don't have Google earth loaded at the moment, so I can't test my results. The second sheet has a key explaining the data types.
Attached Files
File Type: xls california points.xls (74.5 KB, 171 views)