View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
I do not remember where I found it, and will have to see if I can find it again, but I found an article written by a USAF pilot who was part of the testing of the SGt York. Not saying that it did not have issues (lots and lots of them), but from his prospective it worked, every time he tired to "attack" it shot him down, if I remember right it was 100% effective in the tests that he was part of. Could they have ever made it really work? I do not think so, as to much was stacked against it from the get go, but in a TW2000 type world I could see maybe making some and saying what the heck it is better than nothing.
I'm pretty sure that was discussed in a previous thread, and I still hold the opinion that needing to hang four radar reflectors on a drone so the M247 could see it (as documented in reports on its shortcomings) suggests that either the pilot had extraordinarily bad luck in dealing with it, it had wildly variable performance, or the F-16 radar they kitbashed onto the M48 chassis was good at picking up high and fast aerial targets and sucked at NOE/pop-up target acquisition.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.