View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 AM

Default Non-military solutions / assymetrical warfare / common sense

One more thing reagrding last session:
I personally like when charachters apply non-military solutions to (military) problems, and I believe that HQ should encourage such play-styles. Not only is this a way of utilize skills like disguise, forgery, interrogation, stealth etc. It is also the difference between a pure tactical game such as Advanced Squad Leader and TW200 which is both a tactical game and a interpersonal one with far more options for the individual player than just to chose weapon, aim and roll dice. I do suspect that HQ already have a plan to force players in this direction by introducing "battles that can not be won" and though the players should have exploited such options before, I do see the need for HQ to "kick" the players a little bit in this direction (until they stop kicking back).

To those of you that label now me a peacemonger and pacifist I would like to defend myself by saying that even though the ultimate solution to a problem not neccesaryly is a 155mm shell, it could still be scheming, evil, violent and even suprisingly brutal. Extortion, kidnappings, Agatha Cristie-style cold blooded murders and subtle war crimes could be a part of strategy to fight a superior enemy without the best guns on the market.
I believe the correct terms for it these days is assymetrical warfare. "Common sense" would be a more appropriate expression.