View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog 6 View Post
The Nautical/aviation book says in the colour plate notes on page 57 "attached to the Atlantic fleet in 2000" it says nothing about summer 2000 or Poland. with the general lack of fuel in the world, I'd have to say its sitting on the US east coast out of fuel
Why? It's a combat vessel. If it was short of fuel, it makes much more sense for it to be in Europe than halfway around the world nowhere near a battlefield. Same goes for all the remnants of the Atlantic fleet.

The Tarawa had to have been sunk sometime before TF34 otherwise (to me at least) it makes much more sense for it to have been the flagship rather than an old destroyer.

To make the situation on land make any sense, the 2nd Marines had to have a reason to either not carry out their amphibious landing in the first place (thereby removing a vital element from the 8th IDs drive eastward) or minimise the effectiveness of an apparently very strong formation. Removal of their fuel supply does just that while retaining the strength we see in Going Home. Perhaps Tarawa wasn't carrying the fuel reserve, perhaps it was a civilian tanker, but either way whatever vessel was carrying it has to go to the bottom. Calling it the Tarawa solves the problem we face several months later when TF34 is formed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolgm View Post
So I guess my question is, and why I was wondering if there was a map showing this offensive, if the 5th Div was the spearhead how did they get pushed so far south while everyone else stayed to the north, and what path did the 8th Div follow to get so far into the interior?
These are questions I grappled with when I was writing. The ONLY explanation I was able to come up with for the 8th was that the 2nd Marines provided the necessary support and amphibious capabilities to get across the numerous rivers and wetlands in northern Poland.

I would suggest reading through http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...erman+III+corp Many of the issues have already been discussed there in some depth.
Oh, and there's a map there too!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem