View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 PM

I think it's far more likely Turkey sat out the NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict because they had a lot of local fighting to do in their own region, just look who they have on their non-Warsaw Pact borders and who their regional allies are and were.

Turkey's involvement in Cold War NATO was always extremely transactional and by the mid 1980s they were focusing on things away from the northern borders. I don't know if you guys know any Greeks or Turks, there's a big diaspora for both here, but the hatred they have for each other I've only seen equaled by the India-Pakistan thing. I mean, the Serb-Croat loathing doesn't get like this and that's jaw dropping.

Come the Twilight War you could expect those two to be like the problem the Nazis had with the Romanians and the Hungarians, they had to place German or Italian troops between them or they'd start killing each other in preference to fighting the Soviets. I'd say it'd take about twenty minutes into the war before the whole shitshow blew up again and they were clawing at each other.